Friday, October 26, 2012

Sleeping Baby

I don't know if this is a phase that every parent goes through but for the past month or so I can't get enough of Grayson.  I miss him when he is gone and surprisingly feel like I miss him even more when he is with me.  I try my best to still give him his space and myself my own time but in the hopes of acheiving balance during the day I have developed a not-so good habit at night. 

Every night since Grayson came home from the hospital I don't feel right about going to bed until I go in and check on him.  I would quietly sneak in and place my hands on his chest to make sure he was breathing.  This habit wasn't of a paticular concern as I'm sure lots of parents do the same thing.  But somewhere along the way I would spend a tad bit more time in there checking 2-3 times that he was still breathing; more than a few times rousing him a little bit so he would move so I could ensure that the slight up and down of his chest wasn't just my imagination.  But the last month I would say things have gotten a little out of control.  Nightly I go into his room and place my hands on his back/chest and stare at him for at least 10 minutes.  I wouldn't say that this is particularly abnormal but then it developed into not only touching him but taking him out of bed and rocking him.  Then I start to cry as I know I should put him back to bed and go to sleep myself.  Am I just losing it or do other people go through this?

I even take pictures of him while he sleeps... what's wrong with me??!?!!


3 comments:

  1. You've actually gone crazy! I didn't know if it would happen but had my thoughts that it might. Bring in the white jacket ;) totally kidding

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look in on my kids nightly before I go to bed too. I always check to see if Hudson is breathing by putting my hand on his chest or cheek. The girls I don't worry about as much, but always put their covers back on. There is something amazing about a sleeping child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't go to bed without checking on my kids, either. I think this just means you need to have another one :)...with two you don't have as MUCH time to acknowledge the growth they are going through and you are just ready to crash at night;). This all just means you are a great mama who loves her baby. It reminds me of the book "Love you Forever" which makes me cry and kinda gives me the creeps at the end when the adult son is holding his mom. Haha. One thing is true though, they are forever your baby, no matter how big they get. (Reagan and I have this argument almost daily....so much so that she even tells me now, "Mom, Max big boy, Max not you baby no more." I just tell her they will both always be my babies. :)

    ReplyDelete