Monday, September 26, 2011

Run... Run... Run... AND MORE RUNNING

In June 2010 we went to watch Grandma's marathon in Duluth at our friend Katie's house (she lives on the race route so we could sit and drink a beer while cheering on those crazy folks running for hours).  For those of you that haven't ever watched a marathon you are in a for a rude awakening when you go and realize who all runs these types of races.  Of course there are very althetic and fit runners but what you don't expect to see are people that are at the very least 100 lbs overweight and look like they are struggling to even pick up their legs.  This display of "exemplary" physical ability put the fantastic idea in Andrew's mind that he should run a half marathon. (So for the rest of us sane folks, seeing people physically struggle to even move one more inch would signal our brains to say, "NO WAY am I ever going to do that" but nope not Andrew.  Andrew's competitive side kicks in and says "I know I can do better than that!!")  What was completely astonshing about Andrew's declaration to do a half marathon was that before that race you would have heard things spew from Andrew's mouth like "Who would ever want to run more than a 5k" or "I don't ever want to do more than 5k's; I'm just going to work on my 5k time and improve that instead."  So being the naive wife that has yet to realize how truly motivated Andrew can be I figured it was a fleeting thought and I would be able to enjoy Andrew's relaxed 5k running schedule.  NOPE!!!  After his first "test" half, Monster Dash in October 2010, he was hooked. 

Andrew's love for running took on a whole new meaning for our family this spring/summer.  As if we weren't busy enough with just adding a newborn to the family, Andrew thought it would be a good time to increase his normal 5k schedule to consist mainly of half marathons.  Sounds like a perfect time right??!!  Sure... and why not add in an intensive training schedule as well.  All kidding aside, Andrew has put lots of hours into training and has now completed 4 half's with the Monster Dash coming up again in October.  I couldn't be more proud of him and how much dedication it takes to accomplish what he has so far.  Grayson and I (sometimes Lucy) look forward to cheering him on in all his future endeavours whether it be in half marathons or heaven forbid he reduce back down to a 5k. :)

Great job honey!!  You amaze me everyday and Grayson is so lucky to have such an incredible role model to look up to.  You make us proud in so many ways!!!!!!!!

Get Lucky 7k - March 19th
New Prague Half Marathon - May 7th
Minneapolis Half Marathon - June 5th
Grandma's Half Marathon - June 18th
Lumberjack Days 10mi - July 23rd
Warrior Dash 5k obstacle course - July 24th
Sioux Falls Half Marathon - September 11th
Nickle Dickle 10k - September 17th

Andrew's first half (Monster Dash in October 2010).  This race is awesome as a lot of people dress up in Halloween costumes.  I have included what I deemed to be the best costume duo of the race, Michael Jackson.

New Prague half 2011, first half of the year (Grayson 6 weeks)

Grayson holding Daddy's finishing medal for the Twin Cities half.

Andrew after completing the Duluth half (Grandma's).

Can you believe it Andrew suckered someone else into believing that running for almost 2 hours is a good idea. :)  Stacy (Andrew's oldest sister) ran her first half in Sioux Falls.  Both of them came away with lessons learned, met the goal times they hoped for, and did really well overall (they might not tell you the same since they both have the competitive bone but they DID).




No comments:

Post a Comment