Thursday, November 8, 2012

Crafts + Food

Traditionally Amy, myself, and my BFF Katie get together twice a year to do some scrapbooking.  It's a great way for the three of us to be productive while catching up at the same time.  Lately though we have found that twice a year just doesn't seem often enough.  Add on the fact that since Pinterest came about we have decided to add making dishes into the mix, two times a year seems ridiculous.  As our next gathering is this weekend I thought I would highlight the food I took a stab at last time.

French Toast BLT's
No recipe needed here.  You just make french toast like normal but use spices like basil, oregano, etc versus cinnamon and add on your toppings.
Verdict - It was good but we missed the crunch of the bread that makes a BLT so yummy.  I would be willing to try this again as I didn't leave the bread out to get crusty like the recipe suggested. 


Ground Beef Gyro's
Cucumber Sauce
1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon sugar

Gyro Filling
1 lb lean ground beef  
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
3/4 teaspoon pepper

4 pita breads
3 cups shredded lettuce
1 large tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine first 5 ingredients; cover and refrigerate.
2. In frying pan cook and crumble ground beef; mix in seasonings.
3. Stuff ground beef into pitas and add lettuce, tomato, and onion.
4. Serve with yogurt sauce.



Copycat Potato Ole's
4 tsp Lawry's
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Potato rounds

Verdict: the gyro's were awesome; keeper for sure.  The poato ole's were good and tasted similar to Taco John's version.  We were left to wonder though if our cooking method was the only reason they didn't taste the same.  Would deep fat frying versus oven baking be the trick?  Either way both dishes were good and worthy of making again and again.

Hmmm, what to make for our gathering this weekend.  Man what would my life consist of without food???  I don't care to think of that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment